World Learning is honored to invite alumni to apply to be a part of the 10 Year Anniversary Conference. Participation is limited to those selected through a competitive application process. Out of 2,300 IYLEP alumni across 10 years, we hope to bring together about 200 alumni that represent the diversity and achievements of IYLEP alumni.
The U.S. Embassy, Baghdad and World Learning are set to host a national conference commemorating 10 years of the Iraqi Young Leaders Exchange Program (IYLEP). Since its creation in 2007, IYLEP has provided invaluable leadership and educational opportunities for more than 2,300 high school and undergraduate participants and adult mentors. IYLEP alumni have made an enduring impact on their communities through follow-on projects that leverage Iraqi youth’s leadership skills, community resources, and the program’s extensive alumni network.
The U.S. Embassy, Baghdad and World Learning believe it is more important than ever to support these young changemakers with opportunities to harness their collaborative spirit and maximize impacts for a more stable, democratic, and peaceful future. On March 31, 2018, around 200 alumni with diverse ages, genders, ethnicities, and geography will come together in Baghdad, Iraq to celebrate the wide-ranging accomplishments of IYLEP participants over the past decade and re-energize their commitment to community engagement and leadership as we look toward the next 10 years of IYLEP.
IYLEP Alumni Will:
- Gain valuable new relationships with IYLEP alumni from both the early generations and latest generations;
- Share stories with one another and inspire guests from Iraqi private sector, government, and more;
- Learn about one another’s insights and experiences from their projects and organizations; and
- Reflect upon the past 10 years and strengthen visions for the next 10!
Before starting an application, please check to make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements.
- Be alumni of the Iraqi Young Leadership Exchange Program between the years of 2007 to 2016;
- Have demonstrated a commitment to civic engagement and positive change within Iraqi communities;
- Hold a position (paid or voluntary) within a non-profit organization, government, network, media, or volunteer group;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English; and
- Be able to travel to Baghdad for the full-day conference on March 31, 2018 and pay for own travel and accommodations. Partial and full travel stipends are provided on a need basis.
- Prepare your application. Complete the following short essay questions in a word processing program, then cut and paste each answer into the online application form. To see a full preview of the brief application (3 pages total) in PDF form, please click here: http://bit.ly/iylep10yearapp-preview.
- Complete the application at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/iylep10year by February 11, 2018 (early deadline). Those who apply by the early deadline will be reviewed with higher priority. To accommodate those who need more time, an extension has been provided until February 18, 2018.
- Applicants will be notified of their selection by early March 2018.
Please read below for Frequently Asked Questions!
- What is the conference about?
- The conference will be a full day of activities including panels, presentations, and small group discussions that feature alumni voices. Alumni and other guest speakers will present about skills, lessons and experiences in working in Iraqi civil society after IYLEP. There will be many networking opportunities to meet IYLEP alumni from all years and the Iraqi guests from the private sector, government, and civil society.
- Do I have to pay for my own travel and attendance?
- World Learning does not want the cost of attendance to deter anyone from applying. If you need financial assistance, we encourage you to request this in the application. However, if you are able to cover the cost, we prefer that you do, so that we can accommodate more alumni to attend.
- Why do alumni need to apply to attend?
- There are over 2,300 IYLEP alumni across the world! Our hope is to gather as many as we can and especially those who have been actively contributed to their communities. The application process helps us in this process.
- Who will be there?
- Alumni from all 10 of the years will be there! Additionally, World Learning and the U.S. Embassy, Baghdad will invite guests from Iraqi private sector, government, and civil society to come to learn more about IYLEP alumni!
- When is the deadline?
- World Learning has provided an extension deadline of February 18, 2018 to accommodate those who need more time. For those who will submit their application by the early deadline of February 11, 2018, your applications will be reviewed with higher priority. We encourage you to submit by February 11!